- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Measure out milk and vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and milk alternately and continue blending, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Mix in lemon juice and zest.
7. Fill cupcakes cups or ice cream cones ½ inch from the top. Tap the cones to ensure the batter fills the bottom. Bake at 350 (325 for convection ovens) for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The batter makes 12 regular cupcakes.
Using commercially made icing, take 1 – 12ounce can buttercream icing and add 1/3 cup Cheri’s Prickly Pear Cactus Syrup. Makes icing for 12 – 16 regular cupcakes.
Buttercream Icing from scratch
The thick but creamy texture of this flavorful icing makes it ideal for decorating. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week. Rewhip before using. Makes 3 cups.
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 4 cups (1 lb.) sifted confectioners
1 teaspoon pure lemon or vanilla extract sugar
1 – 8 ounce jar of Cheri’s Prickly Pear Jelly 2 tablespoons milk
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add extract. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, heating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Add milk and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until you are ready to decorate. Keep refrigerated.